About the company
LIPTON Teas and Infusions is the world’s largest tea business, with world-class, purpose-driven brands such as Lipton, Pukka, Tazo, T2, PG Tips AND Brooke Bond. We are truly united in one purpose: growing a world of wellbeing to generate value for all.
In July 2022, CVC Capital Partners Fund VIII took over the full ownership of the LIPTON Teas and Infusions business (previously called ekaterra) from its former owner, Unilever. As a standalone entity with a dedicated single-category focus, we are even better positioned to lead the tea industry, delivering higher growth and value, and a greater impact on the communities we serve / wider world. With 9 production factories in four continents and tea growing estates in three countries, the business is profitable and growing, with our brands reaching hundreds of millions of consumers. Present in over 100 countries with an annual revenue of approximately EUR 2 billion.
Under the ownership of CVC, LIPTON Teas and Infusions has an exciting future ahead with opportunities for increased investments in our iconic brands, our people, and our capabilities, underpinned by our Value Creation Plan (VCP) strategy. Combining the strength and scale of our brands with a focus on speed and agility, LIPTON Teas and Infusions is brewing a corporate start-up mindset that’s opening-up new opportunities for its people to flourish every day. E-commerce acceleration is at the heart of the strategy, and we are keen to have talented experts to join us on this exciting journey.
We put consumer love & science at the heart of every decision. We celebrate diverse thinkers who take personal ownership to connect ideas and make impactful things happen; people who share our values around humanity and courage and give their commitment to nurturing the wellbeing of all. In return, we offer a working culture that gives our people freedom and flexibility, and where they can grow both personally and professionally to master their field.
Be part of our amazing blend. Come and grow yourself and, in turn, help us to grow a world of wellbeing!
Responsibilities and key tasks specific to the role:
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Consumer Insights Director to come and partner the Chief R&I Officer, and the R&I Leadership team, by leading the RCI (R&I Consumer Insights) team here at LIPTON Teas and Infusions. Critical focus will be to bring consumer and sensory insights into the heart of the decision making, driving innovation strategy and R&I capability development. This exciting role spans a diverse portfolio of brands, geographies and channels, and is for someone who is passionate about identifying opportunities to meet consumer needs in better ways that unlock value and drive profitable growth.
The RCI community is strategically split across the central VCP (Value Creation Plan) category growth drivers where cross-functional teams work collaboratively together to unlock value for all, covering all tea types of black, green, herbal and other formats. Currently the RCI team has approximately 6 full time team members split across these VCP category growth drivers, directly supporting the project teams.
In this role as RCI Director you will primarily partner R&I leadership team to bring consumer and sensory insights into the heart of decision making driving innovation and R&I capability developments. You will be responsible for the RCI program across the business, with the current (and growing) team directly reporting in. This involves spearheading the consumer technical insight and testing programmes to support the VCP platforms, in addition to the critical Product (Blend) Superiority programme, ensuring that we drive superior quality (vs. competition) and track our progress for hero products. Working closely with Consumer Marketing Insights team, this role is critical in building deep technical consumer insights to guide product development teams in designing/delivering superior products.
Furthermore, this role will also involve working closely with many of the leading data & insights agencies (e.g., IPSOS, Nielson and many more) to develop robust & cost efficient methodologies for product & consumer insight tests ranging from prototype screening, benchmarking vs. competition, sensory preference mapping and much more, translating these insights into actionable R&I programmes.
A unique opportunity to lead such an important capability within the R&I function, which is in huge demand and can help unlock significant value creation for the business.
If you have the vision and creativity to lead a great team in shaping impactful consumer & sensory research, the ability to translate consumer science & insights into opportunities for exceptional product experiences and compelling claims & stories, together with a strong bias for action – then this is the role for you.
• Creatively lead the design and execution of qualitative/quantitative research studies, including in-depth interviews, focus groups, online communities and multiple other forms of research to develop deep consumer technical insights at the lowest possible cost.
• Work within multi-functional VCP project teams to shape and execute consumer/sensory research, drawing out key learnings, and making clear, actionable recommendations for project teams.
• Delivery of thought leadership when coupling consumer insight with deep knowledge of our brands’ personality to ensure our product experiences are true to our brand DNA and visions.
• Partnering seamlessly with our CMI (Consumer Marketing Insights) Director, tracking consumer and market trends, and translating insights into impactful foresight enabling strategic choices, closely aligned with business objectives and stakeholder risk appetite.
• Playing an active role in helping to craft consumer & customer compelling stories/claims to drive impactful in-market execution and ensuring robust consumer and/or sensory evidence is in place to substantiate claims where relevant.
• Evaluating competitive performance of our existing in-market products (blend/mix benchmarking)
• Keeping abreast of latest external developments (academic & market research industry) in consumer & sensory research approaches, to provide optimal research solutions for business partners. Experimenting with new disruptive techniques, sharing learnings across the RCI community, and contributing to the development of best practice guidelines for our RCI toolbox.
• Developing a strong network of research agency partners, and working closely with them to develop cost efficient and effective methodologies for consumer insight testing across the globe, plus contract renewals.
• Having full knowledge of professional codes of conduct (ethics, data protection laws etc.) and ensuring that all our research practices adhere strictly to these.
• Create a compelling vision, mission and strategy for this RCI capability, aligned to LIPTON Teas and Infusions R&I goals.
• Coaching and mentoring to enhance RCI team performance.
• Driving the adoption of change enabled by digital transformation (e.g. big data, smart devices) to provide real-time insights at scale. E.g. ratings & review data, self-ethnography, AI driven predictive tools etc.
This role will require travel to the company’s R&I Headquarters in Colworth, UK, likely for approx. 2 days a fortnight to work closely with the R&I team on innovation / renovation projects.
Critical Success Factors of the Job
• Degree in human sciences (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Food Science, Food / Chemical Engineering), or equivalent professional qualification (e.g. MRS diploma).
• MBA is preferred but not essential.
• A minimum of 8+ yrs experience in an FMCG company consumer insight’s role (CSI, CTI, CMI) or Market Research agency.
• Fully operational in consumer & sensory research techniques (quali / quant) used for NPD (New Product Dev) and generating deep consumer insights.
• Experience within Food or Beverages categories is highly desirable.
• Able to build and maintain fantastic relationships, inspiring trust and confidence (both internally with key stakeholders, colleagues, but also with external agencies)
• Strong commercial mindset and able to spot opportunities and convert them.
• A proven track record of managing and motivating a successful team.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to put together insightful and impactful presentations for CXO level audience, plus supporting others in doing so.
• Confident and experienced presenter who is able to present to all sizes of groups of people.
• Good attention to detail, strong organisation and time management skills.
• Willing to embrace, drive and suggest change.
A Great Place to Grow
Here at LIPTON Teas and Infusions, we grow a world of wellbeing to generate value for all.
• Grow your LEADERSHIP – Thought leader or people leader, we want to help you to truly realise your potential. With a strong internal nurturing network and a focus on your development, you can grow your leadership with us. When you grow, the world around you will grow.
• Grow your VALUE - To foster your learning, we offer big, fulfilling roles within an empowering and entrepreneurial climate. You will have the space to take ownership and to make your mark – and you will be rewarded for the value that you create.
• Grow your IMPACT – We are unique in our industry - from our tea estates to our factories, labs and offices, we innovate sustainably and drive value for all. We grow a world of wellbeing, from seed to sip. You can truly leave your mark on our company and on the planet -through the meaningful work that you do.
Any other critical personal characteristics
• Inquisitive by nature and passionate about consumers, their habits and what influences/drives their preferences.
• A passion for NPD (New Product Development) and understanding of science & technology.
• Ability to translate consumer habits, preferences insights into clear actionable product attribute changes to guide product superiority programme.
• Curiosity coupled with analytical thinking to identify patterns across multiple sources of data, distil insights and translate these into business opportunities.
• Creative and entrepreneurial thinking to support the development of new ideas and fit-for-purpose insights programme
• The ability to bring consumer/sensory data and insights to life in a compelling way for a non-technical audience.
• Ability to communicate clearly, constructively challenge, & influence thinking within multi-disciplinary teams.
• Ability to build collaborative working relationships across functions & cultures, and with key partner agencies.
• Business acumen, and understanding of key functional roles beyond R&I (Marketing, CD, SC, Finance etc.)
• Able to work independently to shape and drive the RCI research programme within projects.
• The ability to work across several projects simultaneously, with agility.
• A proactive, resourceful mindset - and strong bias for action.
What's in it for you?
We believe that growth is for everyone, we believe in growing leaders and
making space to grow an owner’s mentality and like nature we adapt, we change, and we grow.
We believe in connections over hierarchies and (work) levels. We have a 'corporate start-up' approach; we act with speed and agility, and we have the strength and scale of a large corporation.
We are building a better world of wellbeing and a better you.
Excited about the Role?
Please apply online.
Your application will be reviewed against our requirements, and we will be in touch to provide you with an update on the status of your application.
Looking forward to meeting you!
Start: as soon as possible
Connectez-vous avec nous
Nous cherchons toujours à nous connecter avec ceux qui partagent un intérêt pour un avenir durable.
Entrez en contact avec Unilever PLC et les équipes spécialisées de notre siège social, ou trouvez des contacts dans le monde entier.Nous contacter